As Cryptocurrency and Non-fungible Tokens (NFTs) continue to make inroads into the U.S. and world markets, more investors (and advisors) are looking into them and wondering if these digital assets should play a role in a well-diversified investment portfolio?
At Mercer Street Financial, we do believe that cryptocurrencies and NFTs should be considered as an additional alternative investment opportunity. Though, just like any other investment opportunity, whether you should invest and how much depends on your risk profile, investment timeline, personal circumstances, interests, and goals.
How can a Financial Advisor Help?
In this relatively new and ever-changing investment class, it is helpful to work with someone who has experience and an understanding of the nuances of successful investing in cryptocurrency.
An experienced advisor can help you decide:
The best way for you to invest, whether that be through direct exposure to the coin or token, or indirect exposure through futures contracts, an ETF, venture funds, index funds, or stocks of companies that are directly related to cryptocurrencies and blockchain technology.
How much of your portfolio should be dedicated to cryptocurrencies and/or NFTs?
The best way to acquire and hold your cryptoasset investment.
How to best limit your tax exposure when transacting in cryptocurrencies and/or NFTs.
How to include your digital assets as part of your estate and access plan.
I have been buying and selling cryptocurrencies since 2015, and I now educate other financial advisors on how to work with prospective clients who are HODLers or crypto-curious.
FAQs1. What is Bitcoin?
2. What is a Cryptocurrency?
3. What is Blockchain Technology?
4. What other Cryptocurrencies are there?
5. What is a HODLer?
6. What is a Non-fungible Token (NFT)?
1. What is Bitcoin? Bitcoin is a cryptocurrency, one of thousands that are now available in an ever-expanding market. It is the most well-known and currently has the highest market value – with an estimated value of $1.2 trillion as of October of 2021.
2. What is a Cryptocurrency? A Cryptocurrency is a mostly unregulated digital currency that is usually highly secure and based on blockchain technology. Its use case proffers the disintermediation of middleman – namely banks and payment processors – and offers a degree of anonymity to users.
3. What is blockchain technology? Blockchain is a database. Rather than structure its data into tables, it structures it into groups, or blocks, that are then connected (chained) to each other. Each block is given a timestamp when it is added to the chain, making it possible to track and verify all on-chain transactions.
4. What other Cryptocurrencies are there? There are thousands of cryptocurrencies. The 5 biggest by market capitalization (as of October 2021) are:
- Bitcoin: $1.2 Trillion
- Ethereum: $485.2 Billion
- Binance Coin: $82 Billion
- Cardano: $71.7 Billion
- Tether: $69.6 Billion
5. What is a HODLer? HODL is a misspelling of “HOLD” that has been picked up by the crypto community to refer to a buy-and-hold strategy. A HODLer is someone who is a long-term crypto investor.
6. What is a Non-fungible Token (NFT)? NFTs are digital assets – often art – that are usually “one of a kind” in that they represent the original item and contain built-in authentication of provenance and ownership.
If you would like to learn more about investing in these assets, please schedule an appointment with us.